Alternative Energy Systems
Constructed Wetlands for Wastewater Treatment
- Environmental approach to grey and septic water treatment.
- Designed by approved engineers.
- Preserves the water quality of the Riviera Maya.
- Garden feature
- Constructed with local naturally-harvested materials.
- Designed to preserve the jungle aesthetic.
- Pervious design that allows rain water to access tree roots.
- Each 20,000 m2 home site is subject to 88% jungle conservation.
- Area of Use is approximately 1000 meters.
- Area of roofed construction is 30% of Area of Use = 300 meters.
- Municipality allows a maximum construction height of 12 meters.
- Setbacks to ensure privacy. The use of natural stone and local timber is encouraged.
Benefits of Sustainable Development
Ecological enhancements are strategies designed to improve wildlife habitat for plants and animals. Ecological enhancements restore a site to a more natural, ecologically healthy state, which increases the value of the affected ecosystem as well as the neighboring built environment.
The benefits of ecological enhancements are:
Ecological controls can benefit the environment in numerous ways, such as serving as a filtration system in storm water runoff or biodegrading environmental contaminants.
Remediation projects with ecological enhancements are resulting in significant cost-savings.
Sustainable development using ecological enhancement serves communities by preserving green space and creating opportunities for environmental education.
Buildings are an important part of our daily lives. Despite their importance, our built environment has negatively impacted the natural environment in many ways. In order to reduce these impacts, a concept known as green building is emerging.
Green buildings provide these benefits:
Reduce the impacts of our built environment in areas such as energy efficiency, water conservation, waste reduction, and use of environmentally-friendly materials.
Studies show that installing green building technologies can be cost-efficient in the long run.
Improving indoor environmental quality creates a healthier environment for the occupants of a building, which may help increase their productivity.